Empower Your Leadership with Mission Ready Leaders
Mission Ready Leaders (MRL) is an exclusive 9-month leadership and capability development programme for management, clinicians and professionals in the health, care, life sciences and MedTech sectors. The programme aims to create highly skilled, resilient, and innovative leaders ready to build a new future, creating healthier and happier communities.
The MRL Programme is your gateway to unlocking extraordinary leadership potential. By blending innovative curricula, holistic approaches, expert faculty guidance, and a global learning community, the programme provides a transformative experience that delivers tangible benefits. Dive into a journey designed to empower you with resilience, influence, and the ability to drive lasting change in your community.
- Condense ten years of learning into a single programme, allowing you to grow and develop rapidly as a leader.
- Build confidence and become braver in handling difficult and complex challenges within your organisation.
- Learn about leadership within and beyond healthcare, learning from a multi-professional and global faculty.
- Solve real-world problems within your organisation, preparing for scalable outcomes in performance, productivity, and quality.
- Think differently about how to engage and influence, building on a fresh perspective on data science and insight analytics for better decision-making.
Why Choose the Programme?
Are you disillusioned by inadequate leadership development, frustrated that your ideas are being ignored or drowning in multiple priorities and firefighting? If yes, MRL is the programme for you.
Choosing the MRL Programme means investing in your leadership journey with a cutting-edge, immersive, and comprehensive learning experience. Our programme is specifically tailored to meet the unique challenges and demands of the health and care sector.
This is not another standard leadership programme – many excellent ones are out there. Instead, this is a ‘special’ leadership programme that grows your ability to influence the current and future system-wide challenges and increasingly complex issues faced.
- Non-linear Thinking: Learn from a diverse faculty of global leaders across industry, mixing real-world experience, intuition and imagination.
- Practical Tools: Interactive, experiential learning environment solving real-life problems, mastering technical to psychological leadership competencies.
- Clash of Sciences: Bringing multiple sciences together to enable creativity and innovation, driving long-term systematic outcomes.
- Global Community: Join a network of diverse professionals, fostering collaboration, lifelong learning and a peer support network.
- Customised Learning: Personalised coaching, mentoring and development plans to ensure you get the guidance and support you need to excel as a leader.
- Fun and Interactive: Learning in inspiring spaces such as Oxford Templeton College and Salisbury Plain.
With a unique combination of faculty, and technical and psychological guidance, MRL accelerates your learning potential.
”The programme is completely different to what I’ve experienced before in all my training. It has really changed me.2022 Cohort
The MRL Programme
The MRL Programme stands as a unique beacon in leadership development, honing your practical leadership acumen in an immersive setting and weaving a lifelong network of visionary healthcare leaders.
Our carefully curated nine modules, led by a distinguished faculty of subject matter experts, unfold within stimulating environments designed to spark inspiration and innovation. A seasoned coach will accompany you between modules to further enrich your journey, offering personalised mentorship to maximise your programme experience and facilitate your leadership evolution.
But the MRL experience goes beyond the programme itself. You will also become an integral part of the MRL community, where ongoing learning and exchange of insights are fostered through an array of online engagements, drop-in sessions, and meet-ups. This is your doorway to an invaluable reservoir of shared wisdom and collective experience designed to fortify your leadership journey.
Module 1: Strategic Management in Healthcare: Mastering Disruption
Introduction to strategic management in healthcare, empowering you with the skills, insights, tools and a transformative platform that equips you to lead, inspire, and make a difference in creating healthier, fairer communities.
- Learn the methods and tools to design and deliver disruptive strategic change with real case studies.
- Using a dynamic blend of strategy, business, health economics, data analytics, and social sciences, learn how to shape and deliver sustainable health and care systems.
- Learn the fundamentals of board dynamics and running healthcare systems from policy to implementation and how to navigate the politics and make your ideas real.
- Immerse yourself in real-world case studies shaping the future of healthcare, using state-of-the-art techniques such as digital simulations to understand board dynamics, unlock innovative strategies, optimise resources and learn how to lead systemic change and resilience.
- Gain an understanding of how to assess the real economic health of health and care organisations and how to create value for the population, staff and taxpayer.
Module 2: Dark Swan Leadership: Thriving Amid Uncertainty
Explore and practice the art of leadership in a highly intense environment learning to embrace ambiguity and building high-performing teams. This is an active and physical model led by our ex-military faculty on the plains of Salisbury, UK.
- Master the skills to thrive in high-uncertainty environments using cutting-edge psychology, neuroscience, and philosophy insights.
- Gain first-hand experience with real-world simulations and scenario planning to enhance your resilience and decision-making skills.
- Embrace innovative thinking and adaptability, becoming an agent of change and inspiring your teams.
- Learn how to leverage unforeseen challenges to benefit your organisation and communities, transforming unpredictability into opportunity.
- Foster a bold leadership style, ready to take on the ever-evolving healthcare landscape and shape a healthier, more inclusive future.
Module 3 – Decision Intelligence – Mastering Complexity
Learn how to navigate the sea of data, explore the human aspects of decision-making, and master the art of leading in an AI-driven world.
- Grasp the foundations of decision intelligence in healthcare, learning to navigate and leverage big data for informed decision-making.
- Hone your ability to spot and challenge cognitive biases, promoting a culture of transparency and evidence-based decisions in your team.
- Engage with state-of-the-art methods to visualise and understand complex systems, foreseeing potential unintended consequences of strategic choices.
- Develop compelling, data-driven narratives to inspire and lead change, improving how your organisation engages with evidence.
- Dive deep into the intersection of human and machine intelligence, understanding the role of AI in decision-making and preparing to ethically and effectively manage its influence.
Module 4: The Medici Effect @ Oxford – The Healthcare Renaissance
Delving into a new parading to learn how to fuel the healthcare renaissance, engaging and building communities to improve care radically. This module takes place at Green Templeton College, Oxford.
- Uncover Value-Based Healthcare; the new paradigm consolidates efficacy, value, quality, safety, and efficiency.
- Discover how systems, as opposed to bureaucracies or markets, can be leveraged to deliver maximum value to individuals and populations.
- Promote and cultivate a culture of collaboration, enabling the growth of networks that drive better health outcomes.
- Deepen your understanding of stewardship culture, equipping you with the knowledge to champion its adoption within your communities.
- Position yourself at the intersection of multiple disciplines, facilitating the fusion of diverse insights to spur innovative healthcare solutions.
Module 5: Reimagining Health and Care: Championing Patient-Centric Care
Immersing yourself in an exploration of the transformative power of patient-centric approaches in healthcare, as you explore how to leverage innovative consumer insights and the latest in design thinking to optimise system resources to reshape care models, deliver better outcomes, and promote resilience within your communities
- Learn to think differently to radically improve healthcare outcomes by reimagining services around individual consumers rather than services or ologies.
- Develop the tools using innovative consumer insights to lead reshape models of care, and operating models, reducing inequalities and improving the quality of care.
- Foster a healthcare delivery model that values and is designed around human experiences, creating profound connections with patients and their families that cut through politics whilst complying with regulatory demands.
- Leverage community resources, partnerships and innovative healthcare consumer analytics to better cater to diverse needs, improve health outcomes and foster resilient communities.
- Learn to simplify the management agenda and free up valuable time to focus on the delivery of patient care and improve productivity.
Module 6: Billions Institute: Delivering Equitable Large-Scale Change
Learn the secrets of effective leadership and how to overcome the inherent challenges associated with instigating large-scale change, including political motivations.
- Refine problem-solving skills to devise solutions that directly address the core issues, promote equity, and are primed for scale.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of your unique situation to identify the most effective strategies and tactics for scaling up.
- Articulate a compelling, viable theory of change that can be presented to stakeholders, aligning them with your vision for scalable innovation.
- Discover how to effectively navigate political landscapes, turning potential barriers into opportunities for progress.
- Master the art of leadership that inspires, aligns, and drives organisations to succeed at scale.
Module 7: Application of Learning
Apply your learning in solving a real complex challenge within your organisation/system, supported every step by a dedicated coach from our faculty. Here, you’ll delve into your organisation’s actual challenges and catalyse transformation:
- Collaborate in a focused team to identify and scrutinise a complex, real-life issue within your organisation or health system.
- Implement your acquired knowledge and tools to diagnose the issue, developing solution-driven strategies.
- Leverage the supportive guidance of our faculty, engaging your executive team to reconsider, reimagine, and redesign for better outcomes – to think differently.
- Nurture your ability to provide valuable insights to your executive team, fostering a future-focused perspective that challenges the status quo.
- Elevate your leadership profile within your organisation, marking your path for ongoing growth and impactful leadership.
Module 8: World view: Broadening Horizons, Inspiring Change
We invite you on a journey beyond borders, offering a panoramic view of global healthcare. Dive into the inspiring diversity of healthcare systems worldwide, unveiling strategies that can support your own leadership journey and organisational approaches.
- Engage with a myriad of international healthcare models, understanding their unique methodologies, triumphs, and challenges.
- Uncover innovative solutions to common global healthcare hurdles and integrate these cutting-edge strategies into your organisation.
- Delve into lessons learned from both success and failure on a global scale, turning hindsight into foresight for your leadership journey.
- Discover opportunities for growth and improvement within your own organisation by embracing the wisdom of global healthcare practices.
- Harness your newly acquired global insights to craft a visionary, adaptable leadership strategy, championing excellence in your healthcare delivery.
Module 9: Your Leadership Story: The MRL Symposium, Sharing, Celebrating and Belonging
Our final module is more than just a conclusion; it is a rousing celebration of the journey you’ve embarked on, the growth you’ve achieved, and the community you now belong to.
- Present your personal learning journey and transformational insights in an engaging talk format, echoing the spirit of world-renowned TED Talks, showcasing all you have absorbed and achieved during the programme.
- Engage with esteemed guest speakers from across the health sector, gaining valuable insights from their experiences and perspectives.
- Join the vibrant MRL community of past participants, coaches, and mentors, expanding your professional network and accessing invaluable resources and support for your ongoing journey.
- Attend the celebratory awards evening, where we honour the accomplishments of our community members and mark the closure of your programme journey.
- Begin your lifelong MRL alumni journey, equipped with deep insights, invaluable experiences, and a global network of industry pioneers.
Learning to Think Differently
Our diverse and expert faculty is at the heart of the MRL Programme – a team of global leaders, innovators, clinicians, digital enthusiasts, and industry experts. They bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, and a commitment to fostering personal and professional growth. With a profound understanding of the challenges and opportunities in your communities, they provide the guidance and mentorship you need to excel.
Professor Sir Muir Gray CBE is an Emeritus Fellow of Green Templeton College. A pioneer of Value-Based Healthcare, he leads the programme within the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford. He is the Executive Director of the Oxford Centre for Triple Value Healthcare and the Director of Better Value Healthcare. He has held several high-profile roles in the NHS, such as Chief Knowledge Officer, adviser to Public Health England and Chair of the NHS Social Care Digital Service.
Becky Margiotta is the founder of the Billions Institute. She served for nine years as an officer in the US Army, both in Special Operations and Special Mission Units. Becky directed the 100,000 Homes Campaign for Community Solutions, which mobilised 186 cities to permanently house more than one hundred thousand people who had previously been living on the streets. Her work has been profiled on 60 Minutes, NPR, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Stanford Social Innovation Review, and HBR.
Dr Nadeem Moghal is the Chief Innovation Officer at Strasys. He has over 30 years of experience as a clinician in transforming services and building high-performing teams to deliver vastly improved outcomes for patients. In the NHS, he held various leadership roles, including Medical Director. He has held several non-executive roles and as a CEO and CMO in the private healthcare sector. A coach and mentor, he continues to invest in developing leaders and encouraging collaboration to meet the needs of the citizen effectively.
Prof Jonathon Gray co-founded the MRL programme, having successfully developed the Climb programme in Wales. Most recently, he was the Quality Improvement Fellow, Executive Director of Transformation in Cardiff, and Clinical Director at Life Sciences Hub Wales. He has held several high-profile roles, including CEO of an AHSN, Chair and Director of the NIHI at Auckland University in New Zealand. He was also a Consultant and Senior Lecturer in medical genetics at Cardiff and worked on the 1000 Lives Campaign.
Naeem Younis is the founder and CEO of Strasys. Over the last two decades, he has supported and mentored leadership teams to think differently and enable disruptive innovation. He has led transformative change and innovation across multiple sectors, from financial services, technology, retail, and the public sector to healthcare. Adopting pioneering methods and decision intelligence, Naeem focuses on how to challenge conventional thinking to reimagine healthcare services to build healthier and prosperous communities.
Dan Cooke is the co-founder of Dark Swan and Operations Director for the humanitarian disaster response charity, Serve On. Dan has been deployed on many global missions and experienced first-hand the impossible odds that people face after natural disasters. He spent 20 years in the Fire Service, and works with elite sports, multinationals, SMEs, large-scale infrastructure projects and several specialist military units, delivering programmes and workshops on leadership, organisational resilience and crisis management.
Al Humes is the co-founder of Dark Swan. He served as a British Army Officer for 30 years and was attached to the 22 SAS Regiment. He was instrumental in redesigning the British Army’s approach to Physical Development and specialised instructor/coaching education. He has worked with elite sports and chaired numerous cultural health checks across UK Sport’s world-class programmes for Olympic and Paralympic sports. His focus is on developing and leading high-performing organisational cultures.
Carl Sheldrick is the Decision Intelligence Champion at Strasys. He has over 20 years of experience and has been at the forefront of pioneering analytics and modelling techniques supporting healthcare organisations to approach their challenges with new perspectives. Carl enjoys, combining the latest business intelligence tools and cloud services to develop products that support clients through their complex decisions.
Begin Your Leadership Journey
The MRL Programme is designed for individuals who are passionate about driving change and improving their communities. We seek applicants who demonstrate leadership potential, a commitment to personal and professional growth, and a readiness to engage with complex real-world challenges.
We value diversity and welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Here are the main criteria we consider in our admissions process:
- Leadership Potential: Evidence of leadership qualities in your professional or personal life.
- Commitment to Growth: A clear desire to develop your leadership skills and apply them to make a positive impact.
- Engagement: Readiness to actively engage with the MRL community, faculty, and curriculum.
- Professional Experience: Prior work experience, preferably in health, care, life sciences and MedTech sectors, will be considered.
- Time Commitment: 24 days of commitment required over a period of 9 months and able to travel to residential courses, typically on weekends.
The MRL Programme application process is designed to assess your fit with our programme’s aims and values. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Online Application: Complete the online application form, which includes personal information, and educational and professional background, and upload a 90-second video about yourself and why you would like to join the programme.
- Evaluation: Our admissions team will review your application and assess your alignment with the programme’s goals and values.
- Group Exercise: Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an escape room experience facilitated by our admissions team. This is an opportunity for us to learn more about you and how you interact with colleagues.
- Decision: After the group exercise, we will make an admissions decision. All applicants will be notified of the decision via email.
We encourage you to apply early as spaces in the MRL Programme are limited and tend to fill up quickly.
Fee, Payment, and Cancellations
The MRL Programme offers an unparalleled opportunity to develop your leadership skills and make a lasting impact in your community. Your investment in the programme includes tuition, course materials, access to our global faculty, and lifelong membership of our alumni community.
The fee for the MRL Programme is £14,750 for public sector and £24,450 for private sector organisations . This fee covers all course materials, faculty sessions, accommodation and access to our online learning platform. Please note that this fee does not include travel, accommodation or other incidental expenses.
Securing Funding from Your Organisation
We understand that obtaining financial support from your organisation can be crucial in your decision to join the MRL Programme. To help you make a compelling business case for sponsorship, we recommend highlighting the following key points when discussing the programme with your employer:
- Immediate Impact: The MRL Programme is designed to provide practical skills and knowledge that you can apply immediately to your current role, driving positive change within your organisation.
- Long-term Benefits: Investing in your leadership development will not only benefit your personal growth but also contribute to the long-term success of your organisation by fostering a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Network Expansion: As part of the MRL community, you will have access to a global network of professionals, fostering valuable connections and potential collaborations for your organisation.
- Return on Investment: The skills and knowledge acquired through the MRL Programme can lead to increased efficiency, improved decision-making, and enhanced performance within your organisation, providing a tangible return on investment.
When preparing your business case, be sure to tailor your arguments to your organisation’s specific needs and goals, emphasising how your participation in the MRL Programme aligns with its strategic objectives. You may also consider including a plan for sharing your learnings with your team or department, ensuring that the benefits of the programme extend beyond your personal development.
Our admissions team is available to assist you in crafting a persuasive business case or providing any additional information your organisation may require. Don’t hesitate to reach out for support as you seek to secure funding for your leadership journey with the MRL Programme.
To secure your place in the MRL Programme, you will need to pay a non-refundable deposit of £5,000 within two weeks of receiving your acceptance letter. The remaining balance can be paid in full 30 days from the issue of the invoice, prior to the start of the programme.
Payments can be made via bank transfer or credit card. Further details on payment methods and deadlines will be provided upon acceptance into the programme.
Cancellations and Refunds
We understand that circumstances can change, and we have established a cancellation and refund policy in line with UK law and standard business school executive programme best practices:
- Cancellations within 14 days of acceptance: If you cancel within 14 days of receiving your acceptance letter, you will receive a full refund, including the deposit.
- Cancellations after 14 days but before the programme starts: If you cancel after the initial 14-day period but before the programme begins, we will refund any fees paid minus the non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations after the programme begins: No refunds will be issued for cancellations or withdrawals after the programme has started.
All cancellation requests must be made in writing and sent to our admissions team via email.